the winds of change

I see the WRU are going to have an in depth look at the structure of rugby beneath the regions. Haven't they done enough over the last few years to send rugby into a downward spiral despair. Every time they change things, it makes a bad situation worse. They should keep their pinkies out and maybe go for a proper independant look at what is wrong with rugby in Wales (and that includes the regions).

Comments

• Why would they bother changing anything to do with the regions? They paid for PWC to carry out an independent investigation into the four regions and PWC said they were badly run and wouldn’t be viable long term. Despite that the Union did virtually nothing. Waste of time.

Sadly, the purpose of this investigation is to make the clubs amateur. Give it a season or two maximum and the Premiership clubs won’t get any funding.

• How about the wruin funding the Rest of the premiership clubs to the level of Merthyr and RGC, thus creating a level playing field.Or is the Premiership only semi pro for some and not the others ?

• @willj said:
    How about the wruin funding the Rest of the premiership clubs to the level of Merthyr and RGC, thus creating a level playing field.Or is the Premiership only semi pro for some and not the others ?

As far as Merthyr is concerned, the bulk of their funding is from Stan Thomas, RGC had more funding from the outset because it was the wruin's plaything. I still believe that the wruin are hell bent on creating a North Wales region, and if the season after next all clubs below super club level are to revert to amateur status, then the cynic in me suggests that the money saved by the wruin will go towards the setting up of a North Wales region.

• This is a very interesting article on the plight of our game, I recommend everyone reads this http://www.dai-sport.com/make-dregs-british-irish-cup-taste-little-less-sour/